my dad is old, and will often get deep talking about god, and islam being the answer to everything.

my dad is old, and will often get deep talking about god, and islam being the answer to everything. i realize it's not something to poke at, but i can't help get into arguments about how bullshit religion really is. All his "proofs" could be answered by an average 9th grader who knows anything about evolution, or basic reasoning. he believes in a variety of superstitious beliefs, such as envy, magical powers, demons, ghosts, people who are clairvoyant .. etc.
some of the proofs he refers to:
> the universe can't come from nothing
OK. where did god come from?
> monkeys are still around so human evolution didn't happen.
Yes, but other apes evolved, we descended from those who did.
> where did monkeys and all basic life come from?
i google the answer, he looks away and keeps on sermonizing even louder.
> look at the human tongue, it doesn't just happen. there's so much work into the human body.
evo-lu-tion
> humans look exactly same so we don't evolve.
give example to the appendix, or wisdom teeth becoming a problem as human jaw got smaller from learning how to cook.
> it rains because god wants people to grow food.
the effect does not happen before the cause.
> you're wrong. one day you'll "cry blood" when you see the truth.
never going to happen.

i can't help it, i literally just can't listen and resist not replying. i tried staying away from him altogether but he's old and needs my help around the house a lot.
I know this is my problem, it's me who keeps replying. and i need to make myself stop it somehow.

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

  1. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    Brainlet Lol
    >Ok.where did God come from?
    Ever consider ur little brain simply cant understand this kind of stuff?
    >evolution
    How exactly are God and evolution mutually exclusive?
    >how does it rain
    Ur dad is old leave him alone and let him find his peace buddy

  2. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    >All his "proofs" could be answered by an average 9th grader who knows anything about evolution, or basic reasoning.
    That's why he's religious. IQ can vary drastically between different people, even blood relatives. Be nice to him and let him live out his days. You can't turn him into a rational adult.

  3. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    He's senile and trying to talk to you in a dead language.
    Just brush him off and turn his points around on him saying how he is going to hell.

  4. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    Its absolutely pointless to argue with such people because their arguments do not stem from logic, so why would a logical argument work?

    Its a waste of time.

  5. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    OP you’re not as smart as you think you are, sorry,

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      Brainlet Lol
      >Ok.where did God come from?
      Ever consider ur little brain simply cant understand this kind of stuff?
      >evolution
      How exactly are God and evolution mutually exclusive?
      >how does it rain
      Ur dad is old leave him alone and let him find his peace buddy

      the first of many asshurt replies to come in this thread

  6. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    I find it so bizarre that Oyish has as many vocal theists as it does, you’d think this place would be into ‘owning the religoids’ but for some reason no. I guess they were all chased off Reddit

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      Rightism and christian/islamic fundamentalism go hand-in-hand. 2016 married the insurgent fash right with the pre-existing christian boomer conservatives.

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      Unironicaly it's israelites false flagging. You can tell because no irl christians say some of the shit that gets said here.

  7. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    [...]

    Matheticians are probably the most likely STEM field to believe in God. It's a field about abstract harmony and order.

  8. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    >i can't help get into arguments about how bullshit religion really is

    Yeah, it's bullshit but if you could believe in it you would be happier.

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      I used to believe in it. somewhere around 14-18 I began questioning whether I'd still believe stories of miracles if they happened today, and the answer was "nah". I agree with you wholeheartedly, believing in it makes life easier. Nothing really is your fault because that's what god intended, fate has a plan for all of us, we'll be united with loved ones, we're protected by a someone who listens to our prayers .. etc

      I wish I could go back to believing in it. I know I yearn towards a creator who knows my problems, who will help me with my job interview or deal with a serious problem. But seeing how 12 year olds die of cancer, or get crushed inside elevators literally every day, makes me question if there's anyone listening or intervening at all.

      You can come up with a clever workaround, that god shouldn't intervene even though there's a plan which seems random to us. But if you believe that, I'd say you're half way there.

  9. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    Just remember, your Dad loves you and his love means he wants to bring you to what he believes to be the holiest and highest form of joy there is, a love of God. He is just trying to be a good father.

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      I'll try nodding along next time. Maybe all it takes is practice.

      • 6 months ago
        Anonymous

        That’s good enough. And who knows, you might come back to the faith. I was the most hard-headed, cynical and die-hard atheist among my family and friends for most of my life and now as an adult in my 30’s I’d testify that God is real, God is love, and all glory belongs to Him.

        I think that you should continue as you are, keep searching for truth, keep asking questions. There’s no shame in trying to make sense of reality. When I become a father I’m encouraging my children to be the sort to ask questions rather than blindly follow orders or absorb answers. Maybe that’s why you strayed from the faith, you weren’t validated and encouraged in your bold curiousity and skepticism. Or maybe not.

        Either way God bless you and enjoy your father. You only get one and they aren’t here forever.

  10. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    tldr
    my advice: keep arguing with your dad. itll really pay off when he is dead forever and you can never speak to him again

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      see

      just let the poor old man live in delululand and say nothing, Arent you a grown ass man? what are you doing arguing with a senil cranky man? its dumb af

      If your dad is "old" then surely you can find a better way to spend this last bit of his life than arguing with him over his religion. What are you trying to do, convince him that god isn't real so that he can lose that comfort right before he dies?
      >i can't help it, i literally just can't listen and resist not replying.
      Grow a spine, you worthless little homosexual.

  11. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    I've been told to pray but I just feel the whole thing is ridiculous.
    It'd just be words to comfort me.
    I'm one of the cynic people that believes in what I see, and I believe there's only darkness after death.

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      >I'm one of the cynic people that believes in what I see, and I believe there's only darkness after death.

      Death is funny. When you strip away the linguistic and cultural projections we put on death, we realise what it actually portends: nothingness, right? To die is nothing quite literally. We supposedly become (or unbecome) into nothing, forever.

      But wait, what about the time before birth? Before we were even a sperm cell? Nothingness. And yet even out of nothing you wake to a living reality. So how can we call death the end? We already got proven the contrary once before, brother.

      • 6 months ago
        Anonymous

        I would be pleasantly surprised if it wasn't the case, that my essence or energy or whatever-the-frick lives on. That there is a higher power looking out for me.
        But this discussion is way above my head and I should just stfu.

      • 6 months ago
        Anonymous

        >what about the time before birth? Before we were even a sperm cell? Nothingness. . And yet even out of nothing you wake to a living reality.
        we've always been "something", whether before or after death, we've existed as some form of matter or another, and will continue to exist for as long as there is a universe. It's consciousnesses you're referring to. which is organic matter's ability (your brain) to observe, reason and think. it can only exist when your brain exists. You can't exist as a conscious being if you don't own 2lbs of connected neurons allowing you to think.
        which unfortunately doesn't happen after you've died. maybe the universe will rework your atoms to something else a trillion years ahead, maybe you'll be a rock or metal. but not yourself.

        • 6 months ago
          Anonymous

          And yet for only being 2lbs of organic matter, we can contemplate the heavens, invent technological marvels, create entire civilisations, pour our meaning into arts and writings, and love and hate with intensity.

          2lbs of tissue in our skulls can do this. Yet an entire black hole spanning light years in size cannot. Sueprgiant stars burning for billions of years cannot.

  12. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    just let the poor old man live in delululand and say nothing, Arent you a grown ass man? what are you doing arguing with a senil cranky man? its dumb af

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      > senile
      if you asked him the square root of anything, he'll hand it to you in half a second.
      but you're right. it's just difficult because it doesn't start as arguing. it begins as a normal conversation about things we need to do, or future plans, then it veers into israel-palestine god shall smite thee holy war situation.

      That’s good enough. And who knows, you might come back to the faith. I was the most hard-headed, cynical and die-hard atheist among my family and friends for most of my life and now as an adult in my 30’s I’d testify that God is real, God is love, and all glory belongs to Him.

      I think that you should continue as you are, keep searching for truth, keep asking questions. There’s no shame in trying to make sense of reality. When I become a father I’m encouraging my children to be the sort to ask questions rather than blindly follow orders or absorb answers. Maybe that’s why you strayed from the faith, you weren’t validated and encouraged in your bold curiousity and skepticism. Or maybe not.

      Either way God bless you and enjoy your father. You only get one and they aren’t here forever.

      I know what you mean man, I'm open to it, but all i can do is point out the fallacies until something starts making sense.
      God bless you too.

  13. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    Instead of focusing on the evidence (which you're actually wrong on in a number of places), try focusing on why he wants you to believe the same as him and see if you can learn something of use. Ask him what value he finds in his religion. He is older than you, and so has more experience than you do. You might think he is dumb, but just the fact you are young makes you dumber - a fact you will come to realise for yourself in time. He's your dad, show him some love and respect and stop trying to win a meaningless argument. You'll miss him when he's gone!

    • 6 months ago
      Anonymous

      answers like this and letting your did live his days is the right one. For the record OP - I am also the son of a muslim with a senile dad basically that uses the dumbest proofs too.

      People who haven't experienced this - its soooooooo hard to stay quiet. I still haven't mastered it but I basically try to walk away when I'm done serving him.

  14. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    Anon, things can surely be more complicated than they seem.
    Surely even if it doesn't really seem so, there are things that are only learned through experience.
    And there are questions that being hasty in answering, would hardly help one find any truth.
    Religion is not any far-fetched idea yet. But culture can make things complicated, in all senses, I guess.

    Cherish your parents.
    People can be respected. And this includes you, and your parent as well.

    God loves you

  15. 6 months ago
    Anonymous

    As my mom gets older and most of her friends are dying around her, she's started to get more religious too. I just nod my head and let it go. I think she's just afraid of dying and wants to believe there's more.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *